April is Donate Life Month, and you have the power to change someone’s world by being a donor. Organ and tissue transplants offer patients a new chance at healthy, productive lives.
Read on to learn more about the three steps you can take to save lives through organ and tissue donation.
Step 1: Learn the facts
- One organ donor can potentially save 8 lives and impact more than 75 through the gift of tissue donation.
- Donation has no age limit – individuals can register as a donor regardless of age or previous medical history. Nearly every individual has the ability to give the Gift of Life through organ, tissue and/or eye donation.
- Currently there are more than 108,000 men, women and children on the national organ transplant waiting list; nearly 4,000 of those patients are listed at Georgia based organ transplant centers.
- Unfortunately, 22 people pass away each day in the U.S. because an organ was not available in time.
- There is no financial burden for organ, tissue or eye donation on the estate of a donor and/or a donor’s family. All costs associated with giving the Gift of Life are incurred by the organ, tissue and/or eye donation organization.
- All major religions support donation as a personal decision and generous gift.
Step 2: Register your donation decision
Join the organ, tissue and eye donor registry to save lives today!
Visit www.LifeLinkFoundation.org/RegisterToday for more information. Don’t forget to indicate in “Heard About Us” information field that you heard about donation via “hospitals” and specify your hospital campus, so that we can track your Donate Life efforts in reaching fellow hospital team members and local community!
Step 3: Encourage others to register
Share the important message of organ, tissue and eye donation with your family, friends, colleagues and community by posting your donation decision on your social media accounts, via email and/or by word of mouth! Don’t forget to direct them to visit www.LifeLinkFoundation.org/RegisterToday for more information and to follow your example by joining the donor registry today.